Tiramisu Cooking Kit and Recipe (6-8 portions)
Tiramisu is very easy to improvise with. One ingredient can be replaced with another. Sweetness can be changed. You may like to use fewer eggs to make it fluffier but not liquid.
Also, if you do not make it for kids, you can experiment with alcohol ;)
You will need:
- Egg yolks - 6
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Heavy cream - 1.5 cup
- Vanilla - 1 tsp
- Mascarpone cheese - 1 cup
- Brewed coffee - 1 L
- Ladyfingers cookies - 1 pack
- Cacao powder - 1/4 cup
- Optional - Amaretto/Kaluah/Brandy/Calvados or any other alcohol of your choice
- Or to avoid shopping hustle and not to worry if you bought the right ingredients and if it will be enough for the recipe, all you need is this Tiramisu Kit which includes everything you need to make 6-8 portions. And it will be delivered right to your door.
How to make:
- Brew your coffee and leave it to cool.
- Set up a double boiler. Put a saucepan over the heat and bring water to boil. Reduce the hit to medium. Put on top of saucepan a bowl.
- Add egg yolks and sugar to the bowl and warm it up constantly whisking. This step is required to cook the egg yolks.
- After 8-10 mins of constant mixing, eggs and sugar will come together. They will become lighter and smoother. (It is ok if sugar didn't dissolve completely)
- Take the mixture off the heat and let it cool completely.
- Put cool heavy whipping cream in the bowl mixture and mix until hard picks with whisking attachment. (Hand mixer can be used as well)
- Add vanilla in the cream while whisking
- Add room temperature Mascarpone in egg yolk and sugar mixture and mix everything together until nice and smooth with a spatula.
- Now add whipped cream. Using a folding movement incorporate whipped cream in the mixture. Do not use a mixer at this step as it can deflate the whipped cream.
- Now, is the most exciting part is coming - assembling (usually my daughter does that)
- On the bottom of the pan or cake mould, you will be using for Tiramisu, put a layer of cream
- Dip ladyfingers in coffee and layer them up the top of the cream. Cover up the whole bottom of the pan.
- Do another layer of cream and repeat with cookies again.
- Make 2-3 layers (depending on the height of your mould)
- Dust the top layer with cacao powder and hide the cake in the fridge for at least 8 hours.
- Even tho the dessert is fully cooked and can be eaten right away, the best time to do that is 2 days after it was made (I know it sounds challenging)!
- You can make coffee as strong as you like. But too strong coffee can give a bitter taste to the dessert
- Add Kaluah or any other alcohol of your choice to coffee. It is optional and the dessert will be very delicious without any alcohol as well.
- If egg yolks and sugar mixture is too thick, it is ok to add a couple of spoons of milk
- Using the double boiler is a must unless you want scrambled eggs. :D
- Do not get your whipped cream too far as you may end up with butter and we do not want that!
- Please do not replace Mascarpone with cream cheese or ricotta. Cream cheese is kinda too sour for that delicate dessert and ricotta is too greedy and grainy. It worth spending some extra money to get good quality Mascarpone. You will see the result in the end.
- Do not use the mixer to mix together egg yolks and mascarpone as it may cause water separation from the cheese. Use a spatula instead.
- I wouldn't recommend dip ladyfingers in coffee for more than a second as they are start dissolving in coffee very fast.
- Instead of making 1 big cake, you can use portion cups to make individual size dessert
Hope you will like the recipe and I am curious to know how it worked for you :)